12.01.2008

Adventures in Mui Ne

Last weekend I had to get out of the city, so I decided to brave the rain and go to the beach. It's about a 4 to 5 hour bus ride, which costs about $6 each way, and the hotel cost $15 a night, which is a bargain. I took the night bus on Friday and got there at 2 a.m. Friday night. Saturday I walked around the town, and then got a coffee and lounged at a beach cafe. Here is the main drag of Mui Ne, which is basically a series of hotels, resorts, restaurants, massage places, and souvenir stores. So, everything one could possible need, right?

Saturday afternoon I took a xe om to the major sights near the city. First, the fishing village:

Then the white sand dunes, which were incredible. They were so QUIET--even with the tourists, all you could hear was the wind. All the sound was absorbed by the sand. And I had to keep reminding myself that I was actually in the middle of the countryside in Vietnam, and not in, like, the Arabian desert.

Then we went to the red sand dunes, and even though there had been no sun all day I was given a glimpse of a sunset:

Beautiful. All in all, a relaxing weekend, spent wandering, lounging, and reading. For more photos, you can check out the Facebook album that I made.

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was enjoyable--I spent mine at a potluck with a small group of people, and it was nice. I am thankful for this adventure and opportunity, and for all of you. You are missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures - especially the second one. Definitely going to check out your album on Facebook. Right now. Miss you like crazy!