10.08.2009

Huế


After 4 days in Hoi An, I was ready to head north to Hue, a city located directly in the middle of Vietnam. As I was heading north, I could tell that I would be leaving the sunshine and beaches behind. Hue is more inland, and north enough that it starts to cool off. So, after a week of lazing around in the sun, I was welcomed to Hue with rain.


I arrived in the evening and immediately sought out dinner, followed by an early bedtime. The next day, I booked myself on a river boat that goes to several tombs of Vietnamese kings, as well as a pagoda. It was nice, if gray. After one day of this, I knew that I wouldn't need to spend much more time in Hue, so I booked my bus to Hanoi for the following night.


The next day, more rain. Lots of it. Unlike Saigon, where it rains for a few hours at a time and then stops, Hue has rain like we get in California--steady and long-lasting. I got myself up and walked to the Citadel, where the Imperial City was located when Vietnam had a king. Soon after getting inside the Citadel, I dropped my camera, and it promptly broke (this was the second time my camera had broke during the trip; the first time was in Hoi An, was not my fault, and I got it repaired). This time I will admit that it was entirely my fault. All my photos then looked like this:


Luckily, I was leaving Hue anyway, and could get the camera fixed in Hanoi.

No comments: