5.31.2009

Rest in Peace, Old Lady Dog

Last Thursday, one of my dogs passed away, so I want to pay a little homage to her today.

The day before my 6th birthday, a little brown dog showed up on our doorstep and wouldn't leave; my mom was afraid she'd bite the mailman and we'd get sued, and she seemed nice enough, so we adopted her. Then we found out she was pregnant, and on August 3rd (My due date--I was prematurely born on July 16th. We took this as a sign that these pups were meant to be with us.) Skimmer had 7 puppies. We raised them a little, then gave 6 of them away and I chose Streak to be kept. At the time, she was a tiny pup--I could hold her in the palm of my hand. (I apologize for the lack of photos, but that was--GASP!--before the digital age.) She was a little roly-poly black pup with a small white streak on the back of her neck, which quickly disappeared after a few years.


She started out spunky, playing tug of war with me and old socks, and wrestling with her mom and our other dog, an older German Shepherd named Ember. But Streak got old pretty quickly, and while her mom was still going on 15-mile hikes with my dad, Streak wasn't exercising much and developed arthritis. She had a thyroid problem as well, and was on lots of medications. It feels like she's been an old lady for a long time--at least 6 or 7 years. But she was always sweet, content to just sit next to you at the breakfast table and have her chin scratched, raising a paw to say "More, please."


In the last few years, she really embraced her crotchety-old-lady persona, I think. We had younger dogs wanting to play with her, and she'd just yip at them crankily, but her tail would be wagging, betraying her actual level of irritability. It was like she was happy to be asked to play, but was just too tired to engage. She would lie on our back porch and yip at nothing; I think she was just making sure the world knew she was there, and she had something to say about it.



And, evidenced by these photos, she was really good at giving coy facial expressions.

I like to think that now I have 4 dogs up there in whatever heaven all dogs go to (Analyze me all you want, but while I have no problem questioning ideas of God or Heaven when it comes to human beings, I need to believe in a heaven for dogs. It just comforts me.), wrestling and napping in the shade, and indulging in a never-ending supply of chew bones.

She had a good run, and she will be sorely missed.

No comments: