9.27.2008

A differing of values

On a gorgeous, sunny Saturday such as this one, my first impulse is to don a tank top, shorts, flip flops, and shades, slather on some sunscreen, and head outside. I come from a city where being bronzed and blond is the thing to do, and while I have never emulated those orange-skinned peroxide blond starlets on the covers of the tabloids, I do believe that a little glow looks healthy. Not that I've ever really been able to achieve that, but no matter. I don't stop trying.

However, here it is just the opposite. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and beauty salons sell "whitening cream"--in fact, pretty much every skin product you get, whether it's a cleanser or a lotion or something, will probably advertise that it will whiten your skin as well. People don't want to be tan, they want to be pale and pink-skinned. So today, all the women on motorbikes (besides me) are in long-sleeved shirts or t-shirts with long gloves on, socks on under their sandals. Those walking around have umbrellas and big floppy hats. In short, no skin exposed.

It certainly is interesting to be a pale-skinned, pseudo-blond girl in this city. I don't care how admired my paleness is here; I'm heading outside.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Haha, I went to a Korean-American event last summer and they gave out samples of skin bleaching lotion. At least bronzer or fake tan is just like...body paint. But bleaching your skin seems unhealthy!

Lauren said...

Ha WEIRD! yikes, skin bleach does sound creepy

Miriam said...

Oh man, I'd fit right in!
btw since we seem to talk about puppies pretty often, this is for if you're ever bored at work...

http://amanita-design.net/samorost-2/

save the space puppy!!!