9.06.2008

Hello, Vietnam traffic

I am here! And there are a lot of things noted in my first impression, but right now I'll go into traffic.
Traffic is INSANE. Cars, motorbikes, regular bikes, buses, pedestrians--any sort of lane line or crosswalk or anything seems more like a guideline, even the double yellows. And when merging, the merging car just kind of honks as it merges, and the car already in the lane honks back, and it's sort of a game of chicken until one car gives in so they don't crash. But seriously, my taxi driver was this tiny little old man who drove like a tiny little old man, and I was sitting in the backseat doing that phantom brake thing with my foot as we had several near-death experiences. And mostly not my death, but other people's--motorcyclists, pedestrians...utterly insane.

In general, I've only been here an hour so I don't want to make any snap judgments. I'm tired and overwhelmed by all the honking.

Stay tuned...

No comments: