9.08.2008

first few days: random anecdotes

I was walking around District 1, where my hotel is, and came across this monkey in a cage. It has the most solemn eyes ever. I took a few pictures, but the last one used a flash, and I think it bothered him. There was no one around, but I was afraid I'd get in some sort of trouble, so I walked away.

...

I've been eating almost nothing but Pho, which is Vietnamese noodle soup. As someone who has always maintained that I could live on Ramen, it's like some form of heaven.


Today I also rode on my first motorbike taxi. You pretty much hop on the back and they take you anywhere for a few bucks. But the first time I tried to nonchalantly hop on, the driver wasn't ready and I tipped the whole bike over. Everyone watching laughed at me, I laughed at me, the driver laughed at me. Now I'm that silly American who can't get on a bike.

I've already written about traffic and how terrifying it looks. Well, riding in it is surprisingly fun, as long as you trust your driver. I was on the back in my little helmet (btw, I have to buy my own, and I want one with character--I'm thinking, pink and sparkly!), with this goofy grin on my face, thinking "wheeeeeeee!" Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a life, Arielle! It's pretty amazing. Sorry about the motorcycle taxi, hehe, though soon I'm sure you'll be the American who's pretty awesome at getting on bikes. Seriously though, I think you're pretty incredible and can't wait to hear more.